Saturday, May 10, 2008

Simpsons Manga

Ever wondered how your favorite AMERICAN cartoon heroes would look as Japanese manga character? Well, South Park experimented with this a while back with their infamous NINJA episode with all those BAD-ASS weapons. On Free Comic Book Day (last weekend), Bongo Comics released a short comic which is sort of an "Elseworlds" spin on the Simpsons. Alright, I'll admit it. It doesn't look bad. What I find interesting is how this manga approach also provides a somewhat more realistic take on the Simpsons despite putting them in a decidedly typical "super-exciting-ridiculous Japanese tale. I do want to note though that this was designed by Americans than Japanese mangakas. Still, I found this worth posting.

Bart, Nelson, and the Comic Book Guy! What surprises me here is that Comic Book Guy would never be participating in any sports event. He should serve as being the only recurring character that breaks the fourth wall on a weekly basis. Why isn't he criticizing the comic strip itself? I'm also having a hard time getting used to the fact that Bart has hair. After watching the cartoon for so long, I've always assumed that his head was just crown-shaped (like Jughead....though he actually has a hat...)
Wow, Kent Brockman and Krusty look REALISTIC in that first panel. It is also nice to see Kenny and Milhouse here too. Wow, I thought it was impossible for Milhouse to look nerdier. Well, I was wrong.
Wow, Marge and Maggie look great here. Their designs here are unexpected, but really work well here. Homer looks pretty damn good too in Manga form. He looks fatter than his American self and the beard LOOKS like a beard.I'm not sure what this demon is actually supposed to represent. Wow, Lisa has hair too. Impressed.

No comments: