Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The X-Men Manga....Holy Crap.

Del Rey recently announced and showed off some work from the upcoming Manga interpretations of Wolverine and the X-Men. Instead of going off on some huge unnecessary bullshit about how ridiculous this concept is, I'll just comment on the various shots of work.

I've stared at this long and hard. It's not our Wolverine. He's a teenage Wolverine. Hell, I've never ever seen Wolverine as a teenager. He looks appropriately angsty, lanky, and just a little boyish for a Japanese protagonist. As a result, this design isn't bad. It's not as bad as the first design.

Man, this design was just AWFUL. It makes me feel like I could hand Wolverine his ass after making him apologize profusely for accidentally bumping into me.
Stephanie: "HE LOOKS LIKE TOTORO.
FUCK THAT SHIT."

You know, this is actually a decent design. Alright, he looks like Totoro if he got an Ivy degree, but I sort of got a warm fuzzy feeling when I see this picture. Plus, if you are going to "japanize" something, you might as well go all the way with some of the characters.


Well, I hate her already. Seriously, I like Kitty Pryde. After killing her off in the regular comic books, I was looking forward to this. Okay, I wasn't really, but this design just screams like a rip-off of every other gusty, female character in any show. It doesn't feel like the character. Well, it gets worse.Iceman turns emo and Nightcrawler is going to unfreeze his cold heart. Well, that's it. I'm going home. Fuck that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wolverine with no chest hair is an abomination. I mean, I know Jason has his...troubles...but c'mon Japan!